Senior Thermal Design Engineer
Cold Chain Technologies (CCT) is a leading developer and manufacturer of controlled-temperature distribution solutions for the pharmaceutical, biotech, health care and medical device industries. We are a technically advanced, financially secure company with more than 40 years of experience and a history of vigorous growth. Primarily US-based, the company has begun aggressive expansion into international markets.
The company’s headquarters are in Franklin, MA, and CCT is an ISO 9001:2015 registered firm. We have US manufacturing facilities in Franklin, MA, Nashville, TN and Reno, NV. Internationally, we are distributing and manufacturing our products in Europe through our Netherlands licensee, Topa Verpakking, and are distributing in Latin America through our affiliate, CCT de Panama. Our design and testing laboratories are highly recognized throughout the industry as world-class.
Reporting to the Manager, Advanced Development, CCT is seeking a Senior Thermal Design Engineer to create product designs that meet our customer’s thermal requirements. Working closely with customer representatives and project engineers the Senior Thermal Design Engineer will create designs using thermal analysis to support performance. The Senior Thermal Design Engineer will also be responsible for participating in experimental design verification and create design improvements as needed. This position is expected to drive design platforms that cover a specific product space with the minimum number of unique part numbers. Analysis tools will include use of our Siemens NX based simulation software, statistical analysis of past test results, and other thermal calculations as needed. The Senior Thermal Design Engineer is expected to lead our efforts to develop systematic thermal design rules and tools.
- Provide product thermal designs for pharmaceutical shipper products with analysis and appropriate documentation. Analysis will include use of advanced numerical tools and empirical methods
- Provide full participation in, or execution of, thermal testing to determine design performance.
- Contribute to design knowledge and creation of design rules that can be used by all. This includes creation of analysis tools and sufficient documentation to enable widespread use.
- For some projects it may be necessary to complete all aspects of a product design including documentation and transfer to manufacturing.
- Provide periodic status updates on all projects and participate in executive reviews.
- BS in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, or other engineering disciplines that include thermodynamic applications). MS is preferred.
- 6-10 years of applicable engineering experience, with a minimum of 3 years’ experience that includes thermal design.
- Demonstrated mechanical design experience for typical thermal system components including documentation and transfer to manufacturing.
- Experience interacting directly with customers and internal sales representatives.
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated capability of completing analytical calculations to drive design performance.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data using statistics including regression.
- Experience using 3D modeling and Advanced Thermal and Fluid Analysis capabilities (FEA, CFD).
- Demonstrated capability to manage multiple projects and complete deliverables on time with minimum supervision.
- Capable of documenting design work in a clear and concise technical report format.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proven ability to work in a smaller, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Experience servicing the pharmaceutical and biotech markets that include FDA requirements.
- Ability to create user friendly software tools to complete common design calculations.
- Knowledge of modern plastic manufacturing process including injection molding, bonding, thin films and prototyping.
- Lifting and physical activity may occasionally be required.
- Occasional travel may be required