The Senior Laboratory Technician conducts tests and performs lab experiments in support of a wide range of product development initiatives. They will develop and evaluate new components of thermal packaging systems, including investigation of new instrumentation and/or techniques for material property characterization. They will assist Manufacturing and Quality functions in new product scale up, as well as participating in trouble-shooting and process improvement activities. This position requires excellent communication skills, self-motivation, and judgement, since much of the work is done independently, in support of multiple project teams.
- Characterizes a wide range of materials, including phase change materials (PCMs), refrigerant gels, thermal insulation, packaging films, and containers.
- Plans and executes experiments to develop new materials or improve existing ones, which includes general and CCT-specific experimental techniques:
- Thermal and physical property characterization, e.g. calorimetry, thermal conductivity, rheological/viscosity profiles, tensile strength, puncture resistance, seal durability.
- Chamber/validator programming, wiring of thermocouples and/or pack out of thermal shipping systems.
- Weighing, mixing, and gelling/curing formulated compositions.
- Participates in the analysis and communication of scientific results:
- Maintains a detailed laboratory notebook and records data in various databases; analyzes data using statistics and CCT-specific calculation tools.
- Prepares summary reports to communicate results and conclusions.
- Safely maintains a state-of-the-art laboratory where there is effective sharing of space and equipment, including:
- Co-ordinates the general maintenance and upkeep of R&D laboratory equipment.
- Procures laboratory, chemicals and supplies.
- Maintains a Safety Data Sheet file and inventory listing.
- Complies with all safety guidelines and 5S practices.
- Supports evaluation of new test instruments and equipment, including writing of SOPs.
- Trains employees from within and outside R&D on lab procedures and testing.
- Supports CCT Manufacturing in a scientific/technical role by performing experiments and developing methods and processes.
- Completes project tasks within the assigned timeline under the direction of the Director of R&D and/or other CCT technical staff.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications (education, years of experience, etc.)
- Associates or Bachelor’s degree in a science, technology or engineering discipline: expertise in chemistry or materials science preferred.
- Minimum of five years of laboratory based experience with industrial R&D experience preferred; must have superior hands-on skills and awareness of a wide range of analytical techniques.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety best practices preferably experience with equipment calibration/ maintenance and disposal of chemicals.
- Proficient in basic MS Office tools (Outlook, Excel, Word) and preferably PowerPoint and Teams. Must be flexible in finding ways to interface with colleagues working remotely.
Requirements (behavioral, travel, attitude, etc.)
- Self-starter with proven ability to work independently in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Focuses on results, maintains a positive attitude, and is flexible in finding ways to move projects forward.
- Interacts effectively with various levels and functions to achieve project goals.
- Strives to develop skills and knowledge to collaborate with peers at practical and technical levels.
- Keeps others informed on progress and obstacles.
- Strong organizational skills to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; must be flexible and able to adapt to changes in priorities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to work with team members in a positive & collaborative manner.
- Physical activity consistent with the laboratory environment including standing for extended periods, manual dexterity, good visual and observation skills, and the ability to lift objects weighing maximum 50lbs occasionally and lesser amounts more frequently.
- Available for occasional travel.