The Principle Product Development Engineer oversees large complex projects that contain significant technical content. For each project the Principal Product Development Engineer leads a team of engineers and other resources to meet project deliverables. They are expected to contribute technically, and interface with external resources and customers when required. It is expected that this position run multiple projects in parallel.
- Provide team leadership for large complex projects requiring multiple resources to complete objectives. This includes establishing a time-line with appropriate milestones and driving team members to meet deliverables while following company process when required.
- May manage Product Development Specialists as a direct reports providing project guidance and technical mentorship as required.
- Provide technical design input and direction to design details including engaging simulation and testing as appropriate.
- Conduct product design work as required and review work of others to ensure technical correctness.
- Evaluate multiple project approaches including financials and propose best path forward.
- Define required resources for each project including both internal and external resources. If external, propose budget when necessary.
- Ensure that projects meet deliverables, and that technical work is completed to appropriate standards.
- Provide full participation in, or execution of, thermal testing to determine design performance.
- Ensure that product design and all components are manufacturable.
- BS/MS Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Engineering Physics including thermodynamic applications.
- 5 years minimum of applicable experience, with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the Cold Chain industry, or equivalent.
- Detailed knowledge of thermal cold chain shipper design including thermal performance, materials and fabrication details of all components.
- Ability to complete appropriate business analysis and product costing to ensure projects meet financial objectives.
- Capable of conducting engineering analysis and providing clear, concise, detailed results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Requirements (Behavioral, travel, attitude, etc.)
- Proven ability to work in a smaller, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Focuses on results and finds ways to move projects forward.
- Interacts effectively with all levels and functions to achieve project goals.
- Strives to develop skills and knowledge and to collaborate with peers at a high technical level.
- Maintains a positive attitude and remains flexible in seeking results.
- Negotiates realistic commitments and keeps others informed others on progress and obstacles in achieving them.
- Physical activity and the ability to occasionally lift 50lbs maximum and lesser amounts more frequently.
- Available for occasional travel