The Plant Manager is responsible to direct and manage plant operations with overall responsibilities for manufacturing, production engineering, product quality, shipping, receiving, inventory control, maintenance, facilities and the performance management and hiring of employees at the site.
The Plant Manager’s direct report staff consists of Operation Supervisors and Managers, Inventory Control, Production Engineering, and support staff. The Plant Manager is responsible to manage a staff of approximately ninety associates which includes seasonal temporary workers.
- Provide leadership and management to accomplish the company goals and objectives.
- Execute the manufacturing plan consistent with established manufacturing, quality, supply chain, and safety procedures to ensure that products conform to established customer and company quality standards.
- Provide leadership, direction, and development to the staff.
- Direct and monitor staff to accomplish goals of the Operations plan. Act as liaison between corporate and staff to inform personnel of communications, decisions, policies and all matters that affect their performance, attitudes and results.
- Select, hire, lead and motivate staff to further their development and effectively utilize their capabilities. This includes team building, staffing, training, performance management and salary administration. Take corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy.
- Ensure compliance with current federal, state and local employment regulations. Consult with Human Resources Department as appropriate.
- Foster and drive a culture of safety, continual improvement, innovation, and excellence.
- Lead the implementation of best-practices and product consistency in the plant. Direct and coordinate activities essential to operational excellence (e.g., training, safety, housekeeping, cost reduction, worker involvement, security, etc.).
- Work closely with the Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Manager to ensure safety is promoted and a strong safety culture is maintained.
- Employ Lean principles to improve productivity and reduce cost, scrap, and rework.
- Ensure effective and timely CAPA activities and maintain a strong, ISO-certified plant.
- Ensure effective and timely management of materials with Supply Chain, stocking vendors and service providers.
- Develop and maintain positive and effective relationships with staffing agencies to ensure candidate pool is qualified, available to work and meets salary requirements.
- Develop and control the plant budget; control labor, overtime, premium freight and repair expenses.
- Maintain existing plant facilities and equipment; implement and monitor preventative maintenance programs.
- Monitor plant performance metrics. Develop and implement corrective actions as required. Identify, recommend, and implement changes to improve productivity and reduce cost, scrap and rework.
- Participate in multi-site continuous improvement initiatives, best-practice, or product consistency projects.
- Perform miscellaneous duties and projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field; Engineering field preferred
- Minimum 10+ years of applicable manufacturing experience, with at least 5+ years in a similar plant management/operations management role
- Proven success leading, managing, and developing a staff
- Successful implementation of continuous improvement programs like Lean and Six Sigma; formal training or certification in these areas is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with others in a positive and collaborative manner.
- Strong technical and electro-mechanical automated equipment background
- Experience in an ISO-9001 quality system environment
- Leader, self-starter, and team player that will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment
- Proven ability and success in budget and cost management
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Ability to utilize MS Office applications, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Experience with a computerized ERP production control system
- Experience in distribution and traffic management a plus
- Occasional travel as business needs demand