The Commodity Manager will be responsible for managing supplier relationships. This includes supplier selection, supplier negotiations, create and manage supply agreements with suppliers, create and lead supply chain process improvements within the supply base, year over year cost reductions from the total supply chain. This role also will be a key player in the new product development process working closely with the NPI Buyer/Planner to minimize time to market for new products and maximize supplier involvement where appropriate.
- Create and manage supply processes for materials in defined commodities while meeting quality, delivery and cost requirements.
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the supplier base. Communicate issues in a timely fashion, drive process improvement through the supply base on a continuous basis.
- Develop and maintain an effective supply base that supports the company’s goals which include quality of incoming material, delivery performance to planned levels, and cost improvement year over year and supplier responsiveness to support company needs.
- Plan purchasing and production activity through the use of advanced ERP techniques and lean manufacturing methods.
- Drive continual improvement in supplier-base quality, material costs, inventory turns and delivery performance.
- Be an effective component of new product introduction process
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA, BS or AS Degree in a discipline relevant to Materials Management or Operations
- 5 to 10 years of applicable experience in planning, purchasing and/or materials management
- Significant working experience with a computerized, top-tier ERP system
- Working knowledge of ISO-9001, six sigma and Lean manufacturing principles
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Significant experience with MS Office and database software applications
- Ability to lift 25 pounds on occasion
- Ability to travel as required to evaluate and manage the assigned supply base.